Tuesday 16 January 2007

The Lighted Inn

Did you hear me
In the night
Cry out for comfort,
Plead for light –

Will you know it
When I die
Will you feel, that
Time is nigh?

Did I hurt you
When I turned
To face the dark –
To journey back
Where no light burned
And none awaited
My return?

I left no mark
For you to trace,
I left no image
Of my face –

You’ll find no footstep
In the dust,
Nor find a keeper
Of my trust –

Do you notice
Every sigh,
Will you hold each
Close at your side?
Where secrets lie,
You’ll find some solace
By the by –

And in the dusk
Will find a friend,
A minstrel
At the journey’s end.

You will hear me
If I call –
Be by my side
When I fall,

But I’m alone
As it ends –

Your time goes on
Beyond my death.
My treasured friend,
You’re not forgotten
As I pass
My final breath –

It’s not the end.


SJL: 16th January, 2004

No comments: