Tuesday 16 January 2007

A Necessary Abstraction

You would stay well away from me
If you were being wise –
There is a lot more going on, in here,
Than you see in my eyes.

You see, I’ve had an awful lot of time
To perfect this art of hiding behind
Elaborate masks of my construction –
To protect my mind.

And this deception is not a selfish one:
I really have no choice.
I have a duty to protect you all
From this screaming inner voice –

Please, do not come too close to me,
Our hearts must never meet;
For I am composed of jet-black fire
And am consumed by bright white heat.

Be careful not to burn yourself
On my painful memories –
Because this scarring’s very far from healed,
And it thrives on sympathies.

My dearest, if I must run from you,
Then it is not done out of spite,
But I will never let you join me here
In this endless absence of light.

SJL: 19th March, 2004

No comments: